Wednesday, January 31, 2007

The drop off and the pick up

Aww, Madelyn cried when I dropped her off at school today. Well Abby was crying too. It was quite a scene actually! Madelyn is crying because she doesn't want me to leave and Abby was crying because she did want to leave.

...I am scrambling to get Abby's paci and then reaching over to Madelyn who is clung to my legs...
...then back to Abby (where is that stupid paci?)...
...and back to Madelyn trying to get her interested in something else (here's a scissors, why don't you try cutting some paper to relieve this tension?)...
....Abby's is now SCREAMING (where IS that paci? ok, it fell under the stroller, who cares if it was on the floor with lots of 2-year-old germs---never would have stuck that in if it was Baby #1 but then again I was not under a stressful situation like this when I just had 1 kid!)....
...Madelyn throws the scissors on the floor (in contempt that I said, okay we are leaving) no one is injured but she is now crying even harder....
...can I cry too?...
...Abby still crying, is now trying to wiggle out of her car seat---five other 2-year-olds staring in disbelief at the scene of the Nelson drop-off...
...Finally I spot an Elmo book. Red monster to the rescue! Madelyn, read this book with your (substitute) teacher. Yes, Miss Nicole is just as nice as Miss Kate and she'd love to read this book to you and your friends...
...Abby and I exit, Madelyn cries, but with a kiss and a "see you in a few hours" we exit anyway...
...Abby has her paci and is quiet. We silently stand outside for a few minutes to make sure the crying has stopped for good (it has)...
...End scene...

The best thing that happened today: The pick up from school (we were greeted with a huge smile and a stack of beautiful artwork.)

No comments: