Today was such a full day. The girls both had really big day so today deserves two blogs.
I'll start with Abigail who was part of a science experiment of sorst this morning. We are lucky to live near the world renowned Johns Hopkins Hospital and University. In the Laboratory for Child Development at Johns Hopkins University they do various studies with children age 5 and under. I had read about this in Maryland Family Magazine a few months ago and recently also received a letter inviting us to join. As long as they are not trying new drugs or sticking them I am okay with it I suppose.
They called for Abby a few weeks ago. They wanted 1-year-olds for a study on memory. Even though the experiement was fully explained to me and I witnessed it from as close as I could (she was on my lap)....I still have no idea how they can test a 1-year-olds memory. But whatever. That is why I have not received my phD in child development.
So after a quick run to the grocery store first thing off we go to Johns Hopkins for Abby's "meeting." (I referred to it as such for Madelyn who I thought might be scared by the thought of someone doing and experiment on her sister.)
We were greeted by cheerful grad students, a knockout train table and lots of new toys. The girls leap right in and in minutes are screaming back and forth at each other. (Their latest why to communicate....it's not even necessarily angry, it's just LOUD.) I am trying to listen to what the experiement is all about and figure out exactly how they are going to figure this 1-year-old memory out. All I keep thinking is inconclusive.
We are ready to begin. The experimenter asks if Madelyn can stay and play while Abigail and I go in for the study. Um, sure, but she probably wil c-r-y. Sure enough she gets all teary as we talk about going into the room and leaving her behind with all this super fun toys and one cheerful stranger. The young woman says, "do you want to watch TV?" The crying ceases in an instant. "Ok!" (I am so embarassed...clearly the TV is yet another crutch I have used and abused.) The TV is really just the closed circuit of Abby participating in the study. She was enthralled I am told.
In the room Abigail is supposed to be seated in a nifty high chair. She hates being strapped in so she immediately starts crying. The experimenter says it is okay for her to sit on my lap. She brings out this box and tries to get Abby to stick her hand in it and grab the toys. Abby is leary. The experiment begins and it is a series of putting things in the box and taking them out. Abigail cries off and on when encountered with sticking her hand in the mystery box. I guess I cannot blame her.
I am again thinking, inconclusive. She probably is not helping at all. But whatever they are looking for she did because the experimenter said she completed the whole study. Way to go! I have no idea what happened here but we all seem to be okay.
The reward both girls with special recognition awards and Abby also got a t-shirt. It was a lot of fun and I am happy we could help out science in some small way. At least I hope we did.
Madelyn was so excited to show off her award and since we passed right by Nana and Pop's office we popped in and went to lunch with Nana. Madelyn was seriously so proud of her award. (She later ripped it to shreds on the way home! I guess all the glory was too much for her.)
Abigail was worn out. During lunch she kept putting her head down on the table. What a trooper!
Apparently we will receive a newsletter in a few weeks/months with the findings from the study. I really hope it does not come back inconclusive.
Monday, September 17, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment