Thursday, September 6, 2007

Freebies

There's something to being free. It really brings people out of the woodwork. Many of the mom's club stuff and random outings we partake in are free. That is cool and I am all for it. But today, as we continue on our quest to declutter, I posted two ads on craigslist. Free. Within about 15 minutes I had almost 40 e-mails. Holy moly! I ended up taking the listings off the website because surely I had found homes for my items with these candidates. Two less things in the landfill. Just goes to show there is a place for everything.

Speaking of free fun, I think Madelyn has a new activity. It seems she likes to go to the doctor and considers this a big outing. All week she has complained of an ear ache off and on. I put it off thinking she was just trying to glean some of the attention Abby was getting for having a bona fide ear infection. Well this morning she was extra miserable and said both ears hurt. In an effort to not win this year's "worst mother" award I figured perhaps she does have an ear infection. In the past when she has had an ear infection she was relatively asymptomatic. We were thinking of going to the zoo today. But off to the doctor we go instead.

We arrive at the doctor's office and Madelyn has a fist full of coloring pages she wants to give to her doctor. Dr. L. is surprised to see us since we were just in last week for Abby's appointment. But she is quite touched by Madelyn's "gift." In the waiting room Madelyn is jumping up and down, racing around with all the toys, ogling the fish tank and greeting everyone. The model sick child, right? What am I doing here? My child can't be sick. Really she has been saying both ears hurt. The nurse calls her back and she proudly follows, strutting her stuff down the hallway. She practically leaps onto the scale, stands all the way back to be measured too (not necessary). Seriously is this a social call? She is all chatty with the nurse. Telling her all about the boo-boos in her ears. The doctor comes in, takes a look and both ears are....you guessed it.....fine. What is a mom to do? But who wouldn't love this kind of doctor's visit? Upon leaving she gets a sticker of her choice and says her excited goodbyes. She can't wait to go back again next time. I think we need to read "The Boy Who Cried Wolf" because going to the doctor cannot be a new form of entertainment.

The best part about today: While Abigail took a little morning snooze, Madelyn and I organized her new wardrobe...finding a place for everything.

1 comment:

Diana said...

Oh my goodness, Jess! That is HYSTERICAL! As a child, I was quite the opposite, and my mom had to drag me to the doctor literally kicking and screaming . . .and this persisted until I was about 25 or so. Well, maybe until I was 4. :)