Wednesday, September 19, 2007

It's all about her

I know it is pretty normal for a 2-year-old to think the world revolves around her. Today I experienced a perfect example of this. Now I can laugh about it but at the time I could have cried. So here is what happened.....

We were coming back from a playdate at the park. Madelyn was dawdling as usual. I had Abigail on my hip and turned to go retrieve Madelyn (who would not come on 1.....2...) All of the sudden I missed the step and Abby and I got tumbling to the ground. In this split second I am thinking of how to do this so I do not crack her poor little head on the sidewalk. We're down. She is screaming but more scared than anything. I ripped a hole in my favorite jeans (that is how hard I fell!) and seem to have a boo-boo on my knee.

Madelyn comes over and is crying. I think how sweet, in a way, that she is scared and concerned for us. No. She is crying because when I fell I kind of landed on the (well stocked) diaper bag and her cup of water. The cup was partially smooshed (maybe broke the fall?) and the water spilled. She is crying uncontrollably over the cup...of water! Really.

So as I calm Abby I try to reason with her. (Why? I do not know.) I say, "Madelyn, Mommy and Abby fell and got a boo-boo. Your cup is going to be fine." Oh, she says, and starts crying more...."I got a boo-boo yesterday...on my knee! Waaaaaahhhh."

What a pity party!

Lunch and naps turned things around a bit thankfully. We now have matching Curious George Band Aids on our knees.

The best part about today: Playing outside and enjoying the gorgeous (almost fall) weather. We even busted out the Popsicles!

No comments: