Thursday, May 1, 2008

Wheaties anyone?

As the mother of two girls I get the question all the time. "Are you going to try for the boy?" I am sure just about every mother of two or more of the same sex children gets this question. It kind of annoys me because I feel like it makes it seem any less perfect to have two of the same gender. But I can kind of understand the question and I have probably asked it of others on occasion. My aunt (who is just a few years older than me) has had six boys and I know she really tires of this question.

I have wondered if there are things one can do to get a certain gender. For example, my closest cousin and her friends researched the Shettles method which is said to help people determine the sex of their baby. She has a 3-year-old boy and two weeks ago added a (much desired!) baby girl to her family. So who knows if it was good luck or the method. I will have to check with her to see if her friends had success also.

At swimming lessons yesterday one of the other moms told me about the newest study out that shows a mom's diet may have something to do with it. (I have no idea how we got to that subject but probably she asked me if I was going to try for a boy.) But check this out. So I guess if we ever want to add a prince to our clan I ought to load up on cereal, bananas and plenty of extra calories when the time comes.

1 comment:

Me said...

Well, that explains my 2 boys and extra pounds.

And my response to that question (that I'm often asked) is somthing like "Oh Hell No." (having nothing to do with gender, and everything to do with the concept of being outnumbered by our children)