Saturday, June 9, 2007

Frenetic Friday

We had a crazy day yesterday. First of all we had some utility issues. There was a water main break so many of our neighbors had icky water. Our water did not seem to be as discolored as some of our neighbors reported but we did not drink it anyway, just to be safe. Then just after we realized about the water main break the power went out! It was a little apocholyptic....no water and no electricity? Of course yesterday was a typical Maryland summer-like day---hazy, hot and humid and we had no a/c. So we abandoned ship and went to Nana and Pop's pool. By the time we got home everything seemed back to normal.

But in the mix of all that Abigail had her 9-month appointment. I was excited because she was weighing in at 9 oz/ more than Madelyn at 9-months. So I figured, whew, we are in the clear and will not have to worry about her weight. WRONG! She is also over an inch taller than Madelyn was at this age AND has gone down on her percentiles every visit. So now she is in the 25th percentile (like Madelyn was and is) but she started out in the 75th percentile. You other parents will understand this mumbo-jumbo a bit better.

The pediatrician recommended we give her more table food (which she likes so we all think that is great). But what I do not understand is it seems like she wants us to give her more table food than breastmilk/formula. I thought the breastmilk/formula had more calories than the table food? She has been right by us all along so I will follow her instruction and hope this little girl is just getting into her goorve in the 25th percentile for weight. (She is in the 90th percentile for height---who would guess I would have two little supermodels?)

Abby could not be happier with her new foods and of course that is the direction we are going---all table foods by 1 year. It just takes forever and a day to feed her and of course it is a lot messier. Fingers crossed this is what we need.

The pediatrician did say there is some thing with blonde hair, blue-eyed babies that do not gain weight well but she is going to see her again in 6 weeks before she orders any bloodwork for whatever that may be. I was honestly too freaked out to even know what that was so I did not ask so it does not seem to pertain to us yet.

I am going with she is just leveling off and will be much like her sister which is fine. She is developmentally a-ok so that is all good.

Kids! They are always a worry. Surely I would worry if she was overweight. I guess in parenting you just cannot win.

1 comment:

Me said...

Sure, its easy for me to say as I am obsessed with Ryan's weight, but I wouldn't worry too much about Abby's weights. So she started out more chubby -- she's more active now and much taller. You just keep breastfeeding girl! You're doing great and she gets great nutrition from you! The table foods are great and 12 months is a fine time to be all over to table foods/milk.