Thursday, March 6, 2008

Adventurous

Well Madelyn sure had a day. That girl is really testing the waters and I cannot say I like it very much. Yesterday she got a time out at the gym (and a threat for a behavior report to be filed if she is a repeat offender) for tackling a little boy. I gave her a stern look and a good talking to and thought maybe that would be enough.

The first of today's excitement was this morning she locked herself in the bathroom and then could not get the door unlocked. I was starting to panic and kicking at the door when I took a breathe and remembered the guy who had redone our basement out these locks that could be unlocked with the twist of a butter knife. But still. I gave her a good talking to and felt confident the next time she would think twice before doing this again.

Then later we went downtown to meet my parents for lunch. It was a good time and the girls were pretty good. They got a lot of attention (including a free, huge brownie for dessert!) since I do not think this particular pub sees a lot of children. After a visit to the restroom we were headed back home for naps. I was packing the bag up as Abby and Nana walked toward the door. Madelyn took off but instead of stopping to grab Nana's hand as she normally would she zooms out the door and then out the next onto the sidewalk of a very busy street. My mom and I both had mini heart attacks. Luckily she stopped (to make sure we were watching and she was getting a rise out of us--she was!) but still. So I gave we gave her a stern look and a major talking to, reviewing the rules (stay with your grown up at all times, etc.)

I am beginning to wonder if she is just testing all sorts of things or if my stern look and talking to's are not being taken seriously. Regardless all the rush of excitement left me needing a good nap this afternoon.

I really cannot handle much more of this testing the waters. She has never been like this. Abby I can totally see being a wanderer. So maybe this is just a warm-up. Lord help me!

2 comments:

Kara said...

eeks! I hope this phase passes quickly for you.

Me said...

I've been told that the halves (3 1/2, 4 1/2) are the worst. I know Andrew went though a real bad patch at 3.5 and is certainly trying me again at 4.5 -- He had 4 time outs by 9 am today.