For a weekend that Kevin and I were initially not even supposed to be in town for we sure packed a lot in. (I had planned to tag along on his work trip to Phoenix, AZ to visit with Dana, sans children, but hopefully I can reschedule when his work trip does because that was going to be great.)
The holidays are definitely upon us. Even as much as I always think I have everything under control I still always feel the frenzy. This year we are keeping it simple but somehow simple isn't feeling as simple as I thought it might be. I am trying to be crafty and make some things this year which maybe saves money (maybe not) but definitely does not save time. Heartfelt is the key though. Plus there has been some mom's club excitement (they are talking revolution!) so I have been spending some major time on the phone (156 minutes straight last Thursday night!) Then add the "holiday birthday" which does not help keep things simple either. Though, due to the Disney trip, we decided not to have a party for Madelyn. (I hope she will not have to go to therapy for this--the year we did not give her a birthday party--when she is older.) I have rethought that so many times and wanted to just throw a big party. Next year! But the big day, when we will officially have a 4-year-old, is a week from today. My how time flies.
This weekend was the start of really getting into the spirit. We broke out the decorations and we surprised to find the little blow up Santa that we bought last year on sale. Now we are one of those families with blow up things in their yard. The kids love it though and honestly, so do I.
On Saturday morning we went to the MOPS Happy Birthday Jesus Party. Oh how sweet it was. The children sang a few songs for the parents, we did many crafts (Kevin and I included--ha, ha) and saw a really fun puppet show (Abby covered her mouth in horror/interest the whole time...yeah, Disney is going to be great for her...) The party ended with cupcakes and of course singing Happy Birthday to Jesus.

The holiday fun continued yesterday with our parish's Breakfast with Santa (in which we did not even go near Santa!) Then a divide and conquer approach to holiday parties that took Abigail and Kevin to Northern Virginia to visit with friends and Madelyn, my mom, my brother and I to the Rockette's Christmas Spectacular (it was spectacular!) Madelyn was just beside herself with the show: the multiplying dancing Santas, the high kicking "tap" dancers, the live Nativity scene with camels and sheep. She was totally in awe and said her favorite part was "all of it."


Christmas would hardly be Christmas with a few mishaps. Hopefully we have had our one and only. Last night the tree fell on Abigail. She was really scared and had good reason to be. Our huge artificial tree had gone into retirement for the last few years but we decided to get one more year out of it and put it up this year. We remembered why we had retired it. Poor girl. I guess we know why she will need therapy in the years to come: a Christmas tree phobia. Actually that's not true, even after the fall, she was eager to put it back up. I think we have it secured now. But if it falls again, especially if it scares anyone or breaks any more ornaments, it's final destination is the curb.
1 comment:
What a busy weekend! That rockette's show looks awesome. Where was it?
Post a Comment