Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Tired Tuesday

We are back! Due to the snow all day in Chicago yesterday our flight was delayed. It was already a late flight so later meant more overtired kids and a less pleasant experience for those who were on board with us. Abigail scream-cried about half the way home. It was miserable as her parents so I am sure it was really miserable for everyone else who had to listen to her. No sense trying to assure me that maybe no one else heard her. Oh they heard her. And they heard Madelyn when SHE started crying because she was 1. overtired and 2. getting her seat kicked over and over. (We were smart in putting her in front of Abigail--she would have certainly kicked the little old lady or the mean old man or whomever was unlucky enough to land that seat.) I knew it was really bad when I offered a lollipop and she threw it over the seats. Whoops. It was a bummer indeed. We got to the airport well after midnight. As we waited for our luggage the kids looked so angelic as they were completely zonked out. No noise or sudden movement could rouse them. I swear we did not drug them (though an hour or so before I would have definitely considered that option.) Abby was in her car seat, head completely and uncomfortable titled forward and Madelyn was on the floor with her head resting in Abby's lap. Very hard to believe they were the same disgruntled kids on the plane. But in their defense, several people on the plane were equally as grumpy about the delays. The kids just did not have the filter turned on...those adults probably wanted to do the same thing.

But that was the only drawback. It was nice to see the family, despite the circumstances. The wake and funeral were a very nice tribute to Grandpa Byron's long life. He sure was quite a guy! I am not sure how much Madelyn got from the wake. We stepped out for a few minutes and as we were returning she had a lot of question about "the guy sleeping in the box." I answered them the very best I could. Hopefully that was good enough.

But today was a new day. Back to the routines. It was a MOPS day but I was very uncertain if we would make it. I let the girls sleep as long as they wanted which was only 8:30 a.m. and then asked them if they wanted to go. Thankfully they were up for it because I really wanted to go. We were late but that was fine. There was still time to visit. It was a good topic also. We had a speaker talking to us about how to bring out the best in your children.

Of course due to the overtiredness there were good naps. We will see how bedtime goes. I guess it is back to our routines, even if it means late bedtimes. Maybe I should have taken a nap too.

No comments: