Thursday, September 24, 2009

Catching up

I've been enjoying a little blog-vacation as we adjust to our new schedule. We are now very proudly two weeks or so into our new routine and we love it! It is great to have our mornings free. With bus stop pick-up at 12:10 we do not have much time to squeeze too much in so---miracle!---we don't try to. Sometimes we stay home all morning to play and even stay in our pjs until 10. This is all very new to us and we love it. The afternoons are kind of organized chaos. The rush to the bus stop if often a little frenzied. On Mondays and Fridays the frenzy continues a bit as I get Abigail down to her school but by 12:45 or so when I am back home or out doing whatever I am going to do, it is amazing the calm. It feels almost luxurious.

With school in full swing the activities are also under way. Both girls are taking dance. It's old hat for Madelyn but Abigail is pretty darn excited to be dancing. Like the summer session, the class started as mommy and me so I got to dance too! In yesterday's class the girls went in by themselves and reportedly did quite well. So I guess the dance cord has been cut. She is already talking about the stage, ie. recital, in May.


Madelyn has taken on a new activity this year: soccer. Kevin is an assistant coach so that is fun for all. We saw a new side of Madelyn last weekend at the first game/practice. She is competitive. This will be really good for her to learn to be a team player. There were tears, especially when she did not get the ball. But then minutes later when she did get the ball, and score a goal!, it was all smiles. It may be a bit of a roller coaster ride but it will be a fun fall being a soccer mom. The really funny thing is her team is orange--the very team color Kevin and I had when we first met playing soccer. How appropriate.




Last weekend we were busy with dogsitting Jason and Kelly's dog, Rockne. The girls totally want a dog now. While we are not considering it at this time, the girls were quite helpful and we had a great weekend. It sure helped that Rockne is expertly trained. He is a really good dog and on very predictable schedule. Abigail was especially fond of Rockne. It was cute how she was always talking to him like a baby. He was a good sport. I seriously thought she might try to dress him up and make him come to a tea party by the end of the weekend.
The last thing we added in to the schedule was this week, MOPS. I feel like I have been thinking and preparing for the first day all summer (in many ways I have!) It's been a lot of work. Going to MOPS on Tuesday reminded me of our wedding day. All the planning and preparing. Two of my co-duties were assigning people to tables and making centerpieces. As I looked around the room and saw everyone talking and seeming to be having a good time it felt like it was all coming together. This every other Tuesday event does mix it up in our schedule. It's our one full morning not free and a loooong day for Madelyn! (She actually told my mom, who is serving as a Mentor Mom in our group this year, "Sorry Nana, I cannot play today---I have a very busy day!" It's true.) But I think it will be a good year. They received a new CD with the music they will be singing and that has been a HUGE hit. The MOPPETS theme is fruits of the spirit and so far seems really amazing. I cannot wait until they get to the lessons on self-control. :)
We are surely off to a great start of a "new year."

No comments: