Thursday, September 3, 2009

New beginnings

Today was such an exciting day. We started the morning at one of Abigail's school choices. She attended the same room this summer but today was an opportunity to meet her new teacher, Miss Caitlin. She is adorable! Abigail was very impressed. I have to admit I did not take photos. Mainly she was so uninterested at first in going that I did not want to add another level. But you can bet I will have my camera out on her first day next week. It was a great intro. She is psyched!

Then back home to have a quick lunch and then on to the first day of Madelyn's pre-k, part 1. She was pretty darn excited. As we went out the door she hugged and kissed Abigail and waved a fond farewell to her and Nana. Very excited to be wearing her new backpack, which is definitely as big as she is (despite it's junior size status.)

We were running just a few mins. late (due to the long goodbye and the photos--ooops!) so when we got her stuff in her locker and got into the classroom, Mrs. Elliott was just getting started. Madelyn sat in the waaaay back and looked nervous. Mrs. Elliott spoke to them and asked them questions. Now mind you we already know half of the class from the neighborhood so it is not like these were strangers. Many of our friends/neighbors were very talkative. But I noticed a distinct difference in her.

The teacher asked all the children what they did over the summer. Some were eager, others were not. Madelyn (suprisingly) was one of the not. But it was so funny her response. I am not sure I can paint the picture with my words but I will try. When Mrs. Elliott asked her what she did this summer, Madelyn raised up both arms, outstretched them and rolled down to the floor, as if she were literally melting. Talk about a wilting flower! It was cute though and most unlike how I see her. I can totally appreciate the apprehension though and getting to know one's surroundings before showing one's true self.

Mrs. Elliott had a great first lesson surrounded by that terrific first day of school book, The Kissing Hand. So sweet. We all left with little red hearts in our hands.

As we left it was as if a light turned on and Madelyn could not stop sharing details with Mrs. Elliott.....a glimpse of the girl we know. So funny! She is going to be just fine. No, better than fine. She is going to be magnificent.

This is going to be a terrific year for Madelyn. We are off to a great start! We cut the cord tomorrow...no grown-ups tomorrow and from here on out.



Check out that locker!

So much for criss-cross applesauce...

Kissing Hand artwork

Lovin' the locker

With Noah, these two have known each other since they were 10 months old (now look at them!)

P.S. It looks like they are wearing hospital bracelets but they are not of course. It says something like we read The Kissing Hand today, ask me about it......

No comments: