Wednesday, September 2, 2009

My first surgery

On Sunday when we were at Hersheypark Abigail got a splinter in her thumb. This is usually my dad's are of expertise: he is pretty darn good at getting splinters out! But this would be my first encounter. Since we got back so late on Sunday and the girls had fallen asleep in the car I figured I'd deal with it in the morning.

But Kelly gave me a good idea. She said she had read that if you smear a little of the inside of an egg shell on the area it helps draw the splinter out. We tried it. In the morning I got all my supplies: hydrogen peroxide, alcohol, a sterilized needle, Bactine, Antibacterial cream, a paste of baking soda and water (also helps to draw out a splinter according to resources on the internet)....and a lollipop for the patient and my assistant, Madelyn. {It was 7:30 am but desperate times called for desperate measures.}

I began the procedure and much to my surprise the thing pretty much popped right out. Wow! The egg shell thing and/or the baking soda paste really worked. Or possibly I summoned some of my dad's award-winning splinter removal energy.

Either was she was immediately better. Here's to pain-free splinter removal...and lollipops first thing in the morning.

No comments: