Friday, March 2, 2007

TGIF

Abby had her 6-month check-up today. She had to get 5 vaccines: 4 shots (ouch!) in her chubby little legs and one syrupy vaccine by mouth. With the oral vaccine, the nurse said, she had never had a baby actually grab her hands as she was administering it and try to get more in. I guess it tasted good. Abby is so funny though--a very oral child in the sense that she is always sticking something in her mouth. Even in many of her pictures from the day she was born, her hands or something is in her mouth when she's happy, sad, hungry or excited. Often it is this one particula rubber duck that she just LOVES. In fact when the doctor came in to the room this morning Abby was sucking on the duck's bill and when we took it away for a moment she burst into tears. The she completely quieted down when the duck was returned. Have I said this before? But Abigail is going to be my kid who swallows pennies. Madelyn would pick the tiniest thing off the floor and hand it to me (even at a very young age) and Abby seems like the type that will taste it. her doctor says maybe she will be a wine connoisseur or something. HA! She did well though. Still 90th percentile for length (27 inches) and has slipped to just below 50th percentile for weight (15lbs. 1 oz.) She passed all the "tests" for development so yay, Abby!

During the "break" (i.e. nap time) I went out on a reconnaissance mission for a new swing set. That does not even do it justice. The things I saw were far from swing sets they were play systems. AMAZING! Even at 31 years old, I was thinking I could stay and play here all day. It was a smart idea not to bring the kids this first time. We would still be there. We are considering upgrading our outdoor equipment and I knew this was the top of the line but I want to check it out for myself. I was surprised to hear prices start at around $3,000 for a really cool but still fairly simple set. Yikes! We'll see what the budget committee says. We showed the catalogue and video to Madelyn and of course she is sold. We also have the two yard backyard with the extreme hill so I am not sure what kind of play system our yard can really hold. But the idea of playing in the back and not having to schlep to the playground sounds so appealing. $3,000+ appealing? I don't know. But some rainy day we will have to take Madelyn there just to play!

The best part about today: Playing in the afternoon with the neighbors. Madelyn played "pirate" with the big kids and it was too precious.

No comments: