Monday, August 20, 2007

Friends, friends and more friends!

If ever a day was dedicated today friends today was the day. Pretty much every waking moment today the girls were playing with other kids. What a fun day!

This morning was the MOMS Club craft here. Last month I had the craft at the church meeting room and only two families came. So I figured we can do it. Well today eight families came, most with two children, one with four children so that all added up to 19 children and 8 moms. Of course the weather was a bit iffy (reminds me of the 4th of July!) so we had the marble painting inside. I was nervous.

It actually went quite well. The paintings turned out great. I felt like I had my own preschool art class. It was cool. I had planned to have the craft here again next month but we will see.... After being artsy the kids did actually go outside in the backyard to run around.

After naps there was a huge party out front. Perhaps a record for how many moms and kids were outside. I guess we all had a bit of cabin fever with yesterday's rain. I even busted out the crayon Popsicles. I figure Popsicle season is almost over we may as well use them up.

Abby is at a pretty tough age for playing outside. Still not walking on her own she really would prefer to crawl. But outside that just doesn't work. She has her push toys but she just can't go as fast as Madelyn and the other kids so I usually have to pick her up and run down the sidewalk to catch up with Madelyn. I am torn though because once she does walk on her own they may go in opposite directions. The great thing about this stage with Abby though is she doesn't move that fast so she's not trying to get into the street.

I really need to get one of those orange flag people for the street---some people really fly as they enter the neighborhood. Sometimes it is even people we know so I am sure they just don't realize. I am like an old lady shaking my head and shouting "SLOW DOWN!" Luckily all the kids are pretty well trained and do not even attempt to go in the street...they all shout and point "BALL!" and one of the mommies runs after it.

Madelyn is fun to watch outside playing with the kids. She is such a joiner. Today she was riding (sitting) on a skateboard just because that is what the big kids had been doing. Three of her neighborhood "boyfriends" were out this afternoon and she took turns holding hands with each one of them. I mean really! Is she going to be that girl that has to juggle boyfriends?

It's rainy and chilly so I am going to skip the run (even though I really should) and call it a day. We have a big day again tomorrow.

The best part about today: Lots of mommy visiting time sprinkled in with all the kids' play time. I honestly believe I have a better social life now that I am a SAHM. Who says staying at home is isolating?

No comments: