Monday, October 15, 2007

Mean People Suck

Do you remember that bumper sticker that was popular that said "Mean People Suck"? I totally want to bring that back after an encounter at Target today. Let me back up....

Our big outing today was a trip to Target. An adventure in and of itself, yes, but we were also scheduled to have some Halloween photos taken of the girls. They are on the third and final costumes (others have been returned--that's a whole separate story.) Shall I ruin the surprise? Madelyn is going to be a zebra and Abigail is going to be a lion. Darn cute!

We had things to buy (as always) at Target so I woke up early to ensure we had it all together. Sure enough I get there and realize I left the coupons. They were really good coupons for the photos, they did not have any more and I knew in my heart the photos would likely be a fiasco so the little I had to spend the better. With my excellent time management we actually had enough time to go all the way home and back before our appt. I knew I was risking a total meltdown pre-photo shoot but the coupon for some odd reason seemed worth it.

So we are all a little edgy but we are all rolling with it.

The photo place is late as usual. We are getting a bit more edgy but still rolling with it.

The photo shoot is terrible. Abby, perhaps rightly so, is suspicious of this quirky photographer and his antics. Madelyn is doing okay but the whole idea is to get a photo of the two of them. One photo is really all I was asking for. Good thing I had the coupons. I buy four mediocre poses and one really good one that features Madelyn alone.

Still rolling with it though.

I had just a few things I forgot and since we are at the Mothership of all convenience stores of course they have it here. I load the monkeys into the humongous cart that you can strap two children into and off we go, quickly. We pass by some Dora candy that Madelyn has to have for the trick-or-treaters. I really do not want to buy it. She has been so good. It is now noon. We're tired. We're hungry. We're cranky. Fine. As I look at just one more thing she grabs at Abigail's eye and that's it---the candy is gone. So begins her complete meltdown.

I have been reading some inspirational books that must have some effect because amazingly I am calm. I stick to my guns and book it toward checkout with my super-cart. I'm in the shortest line. The children are still wailing......Madelyn is screaming for Dora. I'm still cool even though I am highly embarrassed. One lady stops me and gives me the line, "oh honey, enjoy them, even on days like today, because they grow up so fast." She's right and that goes along the lines of the inspiration I have received from the recent reading.

"Lucy Lallygagger" is in front of us at check out. This woman was scanning the candy/gum selections and the magazines. I am thinking, hello?, do you see we are having a moment here. I mean I know people cannot make exceptions for us mothers of little ones but either let is go in front of you or get the show on the road! She hems and haws and finally makes a decision. Fine. She pays and is organizing the change in her wallet when she turns, grabs the end of my cart and pushes it back toward me. "YOU ARE PUSHING ME WITH YOUR CART!" she says.

What?! Seriously lady? I am really sorry but that is what you are taking from this whole moment? Organize your wallet in your car where God forbid it might be a bit more quiet. Move along so I can get my two items and get the sequester this noise to my own car.

Normally I would be really apologetic but I just had no patience for this. Plus the previous few hours were not exactly an exercise in peace and relaxation.

Once we got in the car, got some lunch and went down for naps, order was restored but geez, the "mean people" in the world really can fog up your day.

Who knows maybe she was having a worse day. But judging from the way she tore out of the parking lot with her music blaring I am guessing that was just her. Poor her not to know the blessing, even on the days when they are really LOUD blessings, of children.

The best part about today: Downtime after an early bed time. It was great catching up with Kara!

1 comment:

Kara said...

mean people do suck! I hate that..they always seem to show up at the worst moments too.