Saturday, October 13, 2007

Success!

I still feel like jumping up and down...the race was awesome! What a thrill. As a team we finished in 4 hours and 58 minutes. I ran my entire 6.8 miles without a single walking break. It was so much fun. My route (leg 2) was definitely the best. It was pretty flat and went through some amazing sites: the Inner Harbor, Federal Hill and Fort McHenry. I am such a sap, I was getting teary at a few points.

My parents and Jason & Kelly were at my start and that was so great to have them there (see below).
I could not have been more excited when I saw my teammate, Amber coming down the pike. I am sure she was pretty happy to see me also. This is not the most flattering photo by any means (eek!) but it was the minute I took off.
Kevin and the girls were on the move and I saw them at a couple locations. That was such a treat. As I was running my last Mile Kevin had Madelyn and she reached out and grabbed my hand and started running with me. I was not trying to break any records or anything but maybe had a bit faster pace than a 2-year-old so I kind of peeled away. Kevin said she cried a good bit of the way back. Sorry, honey! I hope that moment does not scar her for life....her mother running away from her. When I got to my finish (I was sooo excited to see Maura and was again jumping up and down!) my whole cheering squad was there. Abby practically ran to me herself (with fast jazz hands). Again, not pretty, but this is the family post-race.
Thank goodness for cell phones. We used them so much. Our last runner, Liz, called when she had 1 mile to go. So Maura and I (Amber had to leave because she is setting off on a cruise this afternoon!) raced over the the finish line to see "our" finish.
FYI, if you signed up for a race update the updates were all in her name (Elizabeth).

We will need to photoshop Amber into this photo but here we are with our medals.

With that I think it is time for a well-deserved nap and a very fun and delicious (and guilt-free) dinner tonight!

2 comments:

Kara said...

Hooray!! Congratulations you did awesome!!

Me said...

Congrats!!!! Awesome!!