We are working on joke telling in our house. There is a renewed interest (I may have mentioned this joke thing previously) due to the fact that Popsicle season is full on. For those who have not had a Popsicle lately, I will tell you, there are jokes printed on Popsicle sticks these days. Madelyn always wants to know what the joke is. Nana and Pop read a few for the girls after dinner last night. I am not sure what is funnier.....the jokes themselves or the kids' reaction. Well yes, I know what is funnier (because the jokes, super funny they are not.) Usually the jokes are a play on words and that just does not go over with the 3 and under set.
Abigail is funny because she just laughs as soon as you ask the first part of the joke. A kind of "a-ha! I get it" laugh but before the punchline is delivered.
Madelyn waits for the punchline but then looks puzzled.
Last night's joke was (kind of poorly written so the adults were a little confused reading it!) But basically it was,
What is the difference between an actor and a baker?
One makes rolls and the other has roles.
See what I mean? Hard for a 3-year-old and even harder for an almost 2-year-old.
So today on her juice box there was a joke. Oh great, more practice! So I ask them, the classic question,
What is the difference between a piano and a fish? (or something like that...)
And Madelyn, says, "a fish!"
No, no, I say. What is the difference between a fish and a piano?
"A crab!"
Totally lost on her. I was really looking for...."you can't tuna fish" but I was never going to get there.
I won't even get started on the confusion over knock-knock jokes. But it is all very humorous so the jokes have accomplished the main goal, laughter. We'll keep workin' on their stand up routines.
Monday, July 7, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment