Tuesday, January 20, 2009

No. 44

All day I have been thinking about updating my "status" on Facebook to include my ever changing emotions about today. I rarely do not do that on Facebook but today it probably would have gone something like this:

Jessica is thinking that despite one's political views, everyone should be feeling good about being an American today.
All the pomp and circumstance was so cool--the crowds, the flags, the official proceedings and line ups, the people crying. Even if you are not an Obama fan, this day is big news. I am guessing we can all agree that today was a bit over the top but that is the America I know and love. And who could beat that top notch secret service treatment? Thank God for those men (and women)...they totally rock. They have quite a job. I am in awe.

Jessica felt sort of sad for George W. Bush as she watched him lift off to TX in the helicopter and definitely felt bad when when she saw the title under his name "Former President..." as he was on TV speaking at his new, old home in Texas. Just two hours ago he was President, now he added Former to his title.
Whatever he did or did not do in his 8 years in office that I either agreed with or did not agree with it still made me feel a little sad seeing the "new guy" take over and sort of send him on his way. If I remember correctly I felt the same way 8 years ago when I witnessed a similar exchange between Bill Clinton and the then "new guy" George W. Bush. I am just not good with goodbyes.

Jessica is enjoying the Inauguration fashions.
Madelyn and Abigail were watching the girls closely too to see what they were wearing. Very cute!

Jessica is feeling hopeful.
I am not sure if Barack Obama is just a great speaker but I really believe he is going to make change. While I do not always like change, I think it will be good. I just hope he will stay protected and keep our country safe too.

Today was a big day and I am happy we got to watch it. Though it would have been cool to be in the mix of things in DC it was great to be close to the action (and watch the events together as a family from the warmth of our house).

But tomorrow and the next and the next.....will be even bigger. So we are hoping and praying for the best.

1 comment:

Jen K said...

Clever, Jess. I loved Michelle's evening gown. She looked so stylish.