Monday, January 12, 2009

The Prettiest Barbie

With Christmas just behind us there has been a great deal of talk about Jesus and Mary in our household. In fact, during "Grace" before meals Madelyn thanks God for the food and for Baby Jesus' birthday. So I had to wonder when Madelyn was asking for her "Mary" Barbie who she was talking about. We added about 25 Barbies to our collection (Santa shopped on Craigslist) so we have quite the assortment. Many of them are from the 80s so they look a lot like the Barbies of my day. I may have mentioned all this. This is not the point. Anyway.

So she is on the lookout for "Mary" Barbie and I am wondering if it is some sort of thing she has concocted with Mary, Jesus' mother (you never know). We do have a few Barbies dressed in blue. Well finally she finds her. Turns out it is Married Barbie as in Wedding Barbie. Madelyn claims she is the prettiest Barbie she has ever seen. Straight from the set of Dynasty, my friends,here she is, our Married Barbie:


The photo of course does not due it proper justice.

Poor girl though. Her groom Ken, the only dude we have in the collection, is always in a swim suit and an Aloha shirt.

My job is always to fix their hair and I do my best to give them a more modern look. But some looks just cannot be helped. What I know about fashion (which is very little) is that the styles always come back so maybe by the time Madelyn does get married this kind of dress with be the dress. I know it is the kind of dress I thought I would wear on my wedding day too.

3 comments:

Diana said...

Clearly, Ken is ready for his tropical honeymoon with married Barbie! :)

Jen K said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jen K said...

We used to spend hours planning and acting out Barbie weddings. They were very elaborate. Enjoy every moment of this...