Friday, January 9, 2009

Two Red Badges of Courage (none for me)

My kids are definitely more brave than I am. Today was a banner day for bravery in this house.

Madelyn had her 4-year-old check up this morning. All went well--much of the same: under the weight curve and above the height curve (ie. tall and thin---lucky!); normal this, normal that. Her first sight and hearing tests (very cute to listen in on.) The only bummer thing is the doctor seemed quite perplexed that her strawberry hemangioma is not almost entirely gone. I am not sure it has gotten even much smaller. She said there is a possibility that it just is what it is now. Too bad. I mean, it's not like we notice it or even think about it but I guess I just thought someday (by age 5 at the latest) it'd be gone. Weird. But not bad in any way. I guess we still have another year or so to be in the great majority that it goes away.

But back to today's bravery.

As we were on our way out the door to get to the doctor's office, she was very clear to my mom (who was with Abby because she was still sleeping---long night, long story.) Madelyn said, "I am not scared of any shots. Humph!" Bigger talker, huh? Ok, I have to admit. I was scared. I thought about it a lot last night. I had prepped her a little bit and said there might be some shots but I as not sure. I was pretty sure there would be but I did not want to scare her so I brought it up casually earlier in the week but emphasized the stickers and fun lunch.

So we get to the end of the visit and she needs two shots. The nurse comes back, Madelyn rolls up her sleeves and offers this arm, then that arm. Nothing. No tears. No wincing. No wailing. I was so proud and quite impressed. Needless to say she got her stickers and fun lunch and she was more than happy.

Then in the afternoon Abby had to make the visit to the dentist to check on that chipped tooth situation. Big as you please she hops in the chair and grits her teeth (the best way to see the chip) for anyone who asks. At the last visit (her first visit) it was quite an ordeal just counting her teeth! So then the dentist says he wants an x-ray. I am thinking, OMG, how are you going to do that? In fact he seemed pretty confident she was not going to sit for "Max" (I guess that is the name of the x-ray machine (this is a pediatric dentist's office so everything is very cutesy.) But you know what, she did it. She sat on my lap in the chair, bit down on the film, didn't even flinch when they brought that {big, scary you'd think if you are tiny like she is} x-ray camera thing to her nose. Nothing but cooperation. Again, very proud and impressed.

I guess it all goes to show that even if you are totally freaking out on the inside as a parent, the higher your voice goes and the more chipper you sound, they'll roll with anything. Or maybe, more likely, it just did not occur to them that these things are things to be afraid of.

The irony of all this bravery is my mom and I took the girls to lunch at the Rainforest Cafe (as a special treat)......and they were petrified.

1 comment:

Me said...

Good girls! And Andrew's terrified of the Rain Forest Cafe too.