Wednesday, February 28, 2007

The singing birds

What a glorious day. I feel like the little bluebirds have been singing in my ear all day. Was it all the sleep I got yesterday and last night? Perhaps. But I feel great. Not even the shortened naps could get me down today.

First of all happy half birthday to my baby girl! Abigail is 6 months today. When I told Madelyn this morning, she insisted Abby wear a birthday hat. We have had lots of birthdays around here in the last few months so she knows the drill. But Abby did not have to wear the hat, we will wait until Aug. 28th. But my goodness gracious, the time has flown by. I can't believe it myself.

Madelyn had her last day of school. Of course we have fully made the transition. She went in gleefully, hung up her coat and immediately jumped in to the activities; had no incidents of hitting or any otherwise unruly behavior; and was happy to see me when we returned but not racing for me in a "never bring me here again" way. I surprised her with lunch from Chick-fil-A that was already waiting. I use the term surprised loosely because I am not sure one can actually surprise a 2-year-old with a treat because they would never think to even expect it. But really the treat of "fun lunch" was for me as well. But as we drove away from school, leaving the good (and bad and ugly) times behind us, this was our conversation:
Me: "Madelyn that was goodbye to school and Miss Kate for a while...okay?"
Madelyn: "French fry!"
Me: "Okay but from now on no school but you will stay home with mommy and Abby and we will have lots of fun! And go out and do fun things together. Sound good?
Madelyn: "Mmmm, yeah. French fry?"
Me: "Maybe we can try school again in the fall?"
Madelyn: "FRENCH FRY, please!" (tears welling, of anger and frustration, not over this deep, emotional conversation we are having...)
So that was it. All the agony on my part, boils down to waffle-cut fried potatoes. We both enjoyed the "fun lunch" and danced a little happy dance together. All the beautiful artwork from school is displayed on the dining room table until we can find a special place for it.



The afternoon naps were a bust today for the most part. As I listened to Abby cry, and subsequently wake up Madelyn, I ordered some super-mega room darkening blinds for her room. I was up there hanging towels, and sheets, and table cloths to see if getting it a little darker would help but nothing seemed to block the light better than the blinds in there so we will see if making it like a bat cave will help her. Or maybe she is just above longer naps. We will see.

Today (maybe because of the singing birds?) I did not even care about short naps. I thought, oh good more time to go out and enjoy this day! It still takes us for ever to get out of the house so it was usual hot time in the neighborhood, 4pm, by the time we got out there. This is one of the many great things about living here. If it's nice out, the afternoons are like a mini-block party every day. For the first time in 2007 the impromptu party was ON! Actually we started with a walk and as we walked we picked up more and more playgroup friends along the way. It was like a stroller walking train. All aboard! At one point we had 6 mommies (& 1 daddy) with strollers parading down the middle of the street. It was so much fun but I am sure it really annoyed the people trying to get home from work---sorry! But every time we passed by our block, where the "big kids" (i.e. walking age and up) were playing Madelyn yelled "PLAY, PLAY!" I ignored her pleas the first couple times for the sake of my walk but after the 3rd or 4th loop she got her wish and burst out of the stroller to get into it.

By the time we got inside it was time for Daddy, dinner, baths, bedtime and blogging! What a great day.

The best part about today: There are so many thing to choose from (birds still singing!) but I guess the very best was getting to enjoy the outdoors

1 comment:

Kara said...

awww..what a great day. Happy half birthday Abby!