Saturday, April 21, 2007

He looks bigger on TV

Catonsville was one lucky town today. We had a special guest that brought thousands (okay maybe not thousands but it sure seemed like it!) to our little library. They braved the nap time conflict and fought their way in to see ELMO! Yes, Elmo came to our library today. Not some dressed up, phony-baloney character but the real, live Elmo. Well technically the real, live Elmo creator I should say, Kevin Clash. WOW! He is from Maryland and recently published a biography (that I meant to read before today--I'll get to it.) He was supposed to be here to talk about his book but duh! the little people demanded Elmo. What a crowd. Actually rumors had been spreading that he was not even bringing Elmo so I was actually going to just go by myself. "Not an event for kids the librarians had said." HA! I guess the people rule because it was sooo an event for the kids besides the packed-as-tight-as-sardines and hot-as-blazes atmosphere. It was interesting to see the actual guy. You would never look at him and think he makes that high-pitched, squeaky voice that I have come to really love.

Sadly, it was so packed we did not even bring the girls downstairs. I mean they would not have been able to see anything. I popped in for a minute just to see them but it was miserable and I could not hear anything he was saying. Plus it's better not to ruin the mystique. We still got Santa Clause, the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy....we don't want to give it all up just yet! Really the alternative was even better: there was an all-Elmo story time in the children's section. Madelyn was in the front row hokey-pokey'ing it up and Abigail was taking it all in.

We would have stood in line to get an autograph but it from the street level, down the stairs, through the room and in the hall. It was probably about an hour wait. Madelyn and I came around the other way and she got to see her red friend in the flesh, er, fur. She was all excited. That was her best part of the day! Poor girl seems to be getting another cold and actually spent the whole morning in bed. That is why she was even awake to see all this commotion. Anyway! Despite the crowd, it was a great time.

I am afraid we have another "disciple" as Abigail seems to be taking an interest in the furry red monster. This is at the story time (not the real guy obviously!)
And of course a hug from Elmo's #1 fan:




The best part about today: We walked all around and did not use the car once. After the library we stopped to get Madelyn an ice cream and then walked to church. It was very odd parking our stroller at church but what a great thing to do on the day before Earth Day!

No comments: