Tuesday, February 12, 2008

We went boating

How excited are we Marylanders to know that our vote is really important. I sure hope the ice storm did not deter people in this state and the surrounding ones from being part of the "Potomac Primary." Up until now, sadly, I have been a little distanced from the election hoopla. Not for lack of interest certainly. But I am so into it now and I am eager to see what will happen.

This morning, before our MOPS book study, we did our civic duty and went to vote. I was trying to use it as a "teaching" moment for Madelyn. So I told her were were going to vote, etc. I was trying to explain it on 3-year-old terms and she was mostly with me. I told her this was a big decision and an historic vote for the Democrats. People around me were chuckling as I tried to explain the candidates in terms a 3-year-old would understand.....like most of the candidates are "daddies" ("My Daddy?" she says. Um, well, no, but maybe we can write him in...) But then I tell here there is one "mommy" who wants to be president which is something quite new for our country. ("What kind of Mommy?" she asks. I have no idea how to answer that one so I pretend I do not hear her. Luckily she drops it.) Seriously people are really chuckling. I do not blame them.

Then we get inside, all which she finds fascinating, then:
Her: "Where is the water, Mommy?"
Me: Pardon me? (we are really pushing saying this in our house to get away from the huh? that has become very common 3-year-old speak.)
Her: "The WATER, where is it?"
Me: (Very confused and more than a bit distracted) "No water, honey, we are......."

I then realize she thought we were going boating, not voting.

I know people are really chuckling at me at this point. I would be too.

No comments: