Tuesday, June 10, 2008

The tattletale

Is it really only Tuesday? I could have sworn when I woke up this morning that is was the weekend. I guess I was still dreaming.

Well I hope this won't drudge it all up again. I think I am finally over a situation we had at the mall today. We were supposed to join some MOPS friends at the park today for a playdate but since it is so HOT (hot like the crayons melted in the car yesterday hot) we met at the mall play area. We weren't the only ones who had that idea of course and the place was pretty packed. I dressed the girls in green shirts so they would be easy to spot and mostly they were.

If you know us you know Madelyn is a very spirited little girl. I really like that about her but this enthusiasm sometimes gets her in a bit of trouble. But after all she is 3 1/2 and learning the ropes of good social behavior. Today, from my vantage point, she was playing with her usual friends and it seemed like all was going fine.

The two girls were never playing together so I was constantly scanning for them. All seemed to be a-ok.

Until...... Madelyn spots me and comes running over with a huge smile and hug. (I should have known something was wrong but erroneously I thought, how sweet.) Right behind her is this woman cradling her little girl (who was about 3 years old). She walks up and sits in front of me with a disapproving look. Hello, I say very uncertainly. At first I think maybe she knows me from somewhere...it was that kind of look, just a weird, silent stare. Then she says, "Your little girl just pushed my little girl THREE times." I apologize sincerely. But mostly I am a little stunned. I don't think I have ever been reprimanded by another grown up before. She says, "yeah" and just stares with the disapproving look. Finally she walks away.

I speak to Madelyn, tell her not to push, etc. and issue a time out. She sits next to me without a move or a sound. I think she was kind of stunned also. It was all so strange.

I am really sorry I did not even see Madelyn have any interaction with this girl. I guess that was the lady's point. But really that was weird.

Not that she knows this but, I really feel badly when Madelyn has these outbursts to other kids. This just made me feel even worse. I just wanted to cry myself but then I was also so mad. Grrrr. Maybe she thinks she is helping her daughter fight a "bully" but the lesson on tattletaling sure went out the window.

No comments: