Madelyn has been begging to take a gymnastics class. Abigail, a natural climber and all around monkey, I think could really benefit from a gymnastics class. So today we went out to gym search. There are only a few in the area that have come recommended so we set out to see for ourselves. The first place was kind of an authentic gym experience. The owners and teachers have accents (Russian I think) and they are serious about gymnastics and run a strict but fair show. I noticed lots of trophies and photos of men and women in various positions I know my body could and never will do. But they offer a trial class and both girls gave it a try.
Abby was a little uncertain at first but once she saw she was allowed to run around on a cushy mat without shoes, she never looked back. Just in case, the teacher had asked me to sit on the floor of the parent room so she would not see me and start to cry. Glad I was wearing a skirt today--geesh! But she was so fun to watch. I have never seen her follow directions so well. She looked teeny tiny out there though. Her skills on the rings was impressive too. She held on and swung back and forth completely suspended. It reminded me of that movie "Baby Boom."
Madelyn was into it also. Her class was a little more advanced on the rings because they actually put their legs through the rings and swung that way. As she went back and forth she called out to me, "I like gymnastics, Mommy! I like it!" She also delighted in the trampoline. They both enjoyed the lollipops they earned for all their hard work.
The other gym we checked out we could observe the class. Ironically, even after all of the fun at the first place, Madelyn says she wants to go to the second one. I have no idea why but something about the second place appealed to her. The only real drawback for the second place is the class for Abby is mommy and me and I kind of like the "on her own" thing. HA!
I am not sure what we will do. I try to not have too much but this summer might be a good time to try the gymnastics for a few weeks. It seems like pretty good exercise and with Abby I feel like she is already going to climb and test limits so she may as well do it in a safe environment and learn the right way to be adventurous.
I did hear a mother trying to set up her child's activities and it sounded like a lot of work: dance, gymnastics, piano, etc. At least they are not that far overscheduled. It is a tricky balance to find enough activities to give them variety and expose them to many different things. It's no simple job this parenthood thing.
We had a very enjoyable afternoon playing in the neighborhood since it is a perfect weather day. And you know what the girls did? They climbed the tree in the front yard! It must be a sign.
Tuesday, June 17, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment