We are not sure if Abigail has said her official "first word." She definitely communicates, can identify some body parts and talks gibberish but a true first word we are just not sure.
We say Madelyn's first word was duck. I should go back in my 'records' to see when that was that we deemed the first word spoken but I think it was before now and I am thinking we were a little eager on calling it the first word.
But anyway! Now that we are 'seasoned' parents we are more discriminating. Abby has repeated plenty of things we say. But here is the debate. If you point to a cup and say, "Abby, what's this?"...she says "bup!"....then we say "Abby, say Cup"....she says "pup!" Over and over again. So obviously she is trying to say cup and knows what it is. So that makes us think does this count as a word?
The cutest thing that happened today was the girls were playing a game together. Madelyn would hide the ball and say, "Okay Abby, find the ball." Off she'd toddle in the not so hidden spot and proudly retrieve the ball and hand it back to Madelyn. Then they would start all over again. These moments of true sisterly love are sprinkled in with the rough and tumble wrestling matches (where Abby still always loses!) but this glimpse into what I hope will be a tight sisterly bond in the future is pure joy.
Funny thing about all the Halloween candy.....it's great to have little kids because they do not know to ask for it. They didn't ask--I was not going to bring it up--so they did not get any. It's like the candy yesterday was not even gathered. I wonder how many years of that we will have. Wouldn't it be great to keep it this way until they are 12 or so? Yeah right!
Thursday, November 1, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Yes, its a word! As a mom of a kid with speech issues, you take what you can get!
And about the candy -- you'll be lucky to have another year. Andrew is all about it this year. There is a certain innocence lost.
Post a Comment