Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Reflections on Resolutions

So how many of us stuck with our resolutions today? Drank all our water, ate the right things, worked out......here's to it lasting for the entire year.

Is it possible to make resolutions for others? Perhaps since the children are not into resolution-making yet it would be okay for me to make resolutions for them.

For Madelyn it would be to ditch the diapers for good. This is the year! (Heck, it better be!) But really maybe this is the month or even, dare I say, this is the week. We had an incident at the gym today which leads me to believe the time is now.

I made it in time to get to the step class. The children were safely dropped off in the child care area, my snazzy new heart monitor was in place and all was well. I had the pager clipped to my pants in case of an issue in the child care center. After 52 minutes of class (and 596 calories burned---oh yeah!) as we are cooling down a woman with a clipboard (with my name on it) pops into my space and says (over the blaring tunes), "Is Madelyn potty trained? Because she is downstairs without a diaper or anything on and she is very upset."

Apparently my pager did not work because I guess they paged me twice. Maybe it was the heart monitor that ran interference...I mean it was a good workout but not that good that I would not feel a vibrating page.

So I get downstairs and there is my poor little, red-eyed girl with her pants on but nothing under them. I am still not entirely sure what happened...if she went or not...but either way she got sick of that diaper and threw it away. Okay.

I had planned to get back into the "intensive" (by that I mean really doing anything to further the process along) after the holidays. I figured a good time would be next week when we are in a self-induced quarantine before Abigail's surgery. But it looks like we might spend more time this week hanging around the house. She did great after she woke up from her nap so maybe this is really it.

What would I resolve for Abby? I'd like to say I resolve that she watch more TV but really that seems so inappropriate. I mean children under age 2 are really not supposed to watch any television and the jury is still out to whether TV can cause other problems later on.

Even though I could benefit from a few moments when they are both mesmerized in front of the tube I rather like that she is curious and energetic enough to *usually) occupy herself without it. She will sit for a few minutes and watch the (scary!) Teletubbies. What are they saying to those kids???

They are so lucky.....being young and all they really do not have to make any resolutions to "better" themselves in the new year. They are great just the way they are!

Happy 2008!

2 comments:

Kara said...

Good luck potty training. Woody is over the hump and only wears a diaper at night. The first three weeks are hell but once you say the diaper is over...stick with it and you'll do great, they'll do great. truly. It's hard being a mama!!

I just wish that my boys would play a little quieter this year. Enough with the screaming!

D2 said...

Great news on the gym going! And what do you think of the heart rate monitor? I got one for my birthday and I love it. It is so fun to see the calories you are burning...makes you want to keep working out more. Happy New Year! XOXO
Dana