Friday, January 11, 2008

Sew much fun

I took a sewing class last night. It was a lot of fun. I mean I have no idea what I am doing honestly taking on another hobby but it is something I have been wanting to do. I bought a sewing machine last year and had not taken it out of the box until last night! Sad, sad, sad. Perhaps it was a woozy, lack of sleep moment last January when I was wowed by the Home Shopping Network and called in as the time ticked down and the count of machines sold ticked up but I just felt, yes, every mom needs to have a sewing machine to make costumes for Halloween and school plays and simple mending. Heck with girls, maybe even make some little dresses. The projects could be endless.

So last night's class was basically how to turn the machine on, a place I so needed to begin. I was worried the whole way there that I had left the power cord at home or did I need to charge it? Oh my did I need this class! I had taken sewing in middle school Home Economics (do they still have that--Home Ec.?) but that's about it. It was great to have my own machine with me so I could really be familiar with it. I left knowing, not only how to turn the machine on, but how to thread the machine, sew with my (many!) different...what do you call it? I want to say fonts but that is not right.....the different patterns? No. You know zig zag, straight, wavy. Well clearly I need more lessons but it was a perfect start. Hopefully this will be the start of something great or at least something good or at the very, very least something I will continue to do.

1 comment:

Jen C said...

stitches :)

Sewing can be so much fun! It can also be the source of many a headache. I still can't tackle a typical pattern (the kind you can buy at Joann's) they're just too confusing and sadly I have such little patience.

Have fun with the class!! I'm sure you'll be whipping up some great stuff in no time!!!

Oh and fabrics that don't unravel (like fleece) are a great first fabric to work with. I think I see heart shaped fleece pillows for valentine's day in your future ;)