Sunday, September 21, 2008

Just Beachy Pony Excursion

I can't believe I have not blogged since Thursday. I cannot even recall what we did on Friday so you know we have been busy lately! That is why I really ought to sit down at the computer each day. This is how things get forgotten. Anyway. I do recall yesterday. It was a very full day but a very fun day. We went to the beach. I love that about where we live. You can go to the beach for a day. We made the trip to see the Chincoteague ponies. I am not sure if I have mentioned this but Madelyn has been really interested in the ponies this summer. It all started with a picture book we checked out at the library. Then we did more research and checked out just about every book on Chincoteague/Assateague that the library had. We are lucky to live so close that she could learn about this and then see it in person.

I've been to Assateague several times before since it is on the Maryland side and very close to Ocean City where we vacationed as a family in my middle school and high school years. We almost always see ponies along the side of the road. But for some reason I thought it would be cool to go to the Chincoteague, VA side to see the wild ponies we had been reading about. Funny enough we did not see ANY ponies in their element. Bummer. But we did have a wonderful time playing on the beach. I think this was Abby's first visit to the Atlantic (how odd she would have seen the Pacific Ocean first since we live so close to the Atlantic but she did.) It was not a good swimming beach day but that is not what we were looking for.....it was a perfect sit on the beach, fly the kite (almost too much wind for the kite!) and just enjoy the scene beach day.


On our way off the island we saw signs for the Chincoteague Pony Centre and decided to pop in there so we could actually see some ponies. Here we found they actually do pony rides so we signed Madelyn right up. She was thrilled. The ponies here are also apparently descendants of the Misty (if anyone ever read Misty of Chincoteague as a child.) Here's Madelyn on Tigger, who was very kind and gentle.

The girls were getting really tired so we decided to make the drive to O.C. for more beach fun. En route we saw signs for Assateague so we decided why not make it a total pony day. Sure enough almost the second we arrived on the island there were ponies along the side of the road. Abby just kept shouting "more ponies, more!" Madelyn sadly was so tired. We roused her to look and she was excited but the next second fast asleep. I am not sure she will remember in her sleep haze but luckily I took plenty of photos for her.
We finally made it to Ocean City and was it ever bustling. We went straight to the boardwalk and enjoyed all the action.


Oh, I love a day at the beach. The girls enjoyed some rides and then we just decided to head back home. Thankfully Daddy was awake to drive us home....we girls all slept on the way back, sand in our hair and all.

Because we had so much fun we did have some errands to run today. But we ended the wonderful weekend having a glorious outdoor dinner with my parents. The new patio, the new flowers Kevin has planted, the perfect weather....yahoo! What a great way to end the summer.

1 comment:

Kara said...

the picture with you and the girls is a keeper. What a great shot.

Sounds like a great fun day.