Thursday, September 18, 2008

We're walkers!

I think yesterday was a proud day for Kevin. Not just because our oldest went off to a successful first official day of preschool yesterday but because we walked to school! He's all about the walkable communities, esp. walking to school, with his profession so we were happy to do him proud. And happy to know we live in a fairly walkable community. We'll try to walk her to school every day....though I might wimp out when it's raining and/or cold and/or we are running late.

Madelyn had a terrific first official day of school yesterday. I was not sad necessarily letting her go (she is so ready and it is just a few hours at preschool two days a week after all!) but I did have this unsettling feeling in the pit of my stomach when I was pushing just one child in the stroller instead of two. But I just have to hope she has learned some manners along the way and she will be a "good girl" in the eyes of the teachers. She did not hesitate one iota when she saw her teacher at the school door. She leaped out of the stroller and literally skipped up the steps. But then once she got in the door and walked down the hallway all by herself, I could tell her pace slowed. She was probably trying to remember which classroom was hers. All the children are small (it is a nursery school!) but the 3-year-olds just looked particularly tiny. But she was off and again the only tears shed were by Abby who wanted to follow her sister into those doors.

Abby and I had a fun morning though. After we dropped Madelyn off we walked to meet some friends at a bakery and then a stopped at the farmer's market. I was a little harried at the end. Since we were walking I wanted to allow plenty of time to get back. I really need to remember a watch to calm my anxiety about being late to pick up. Maybe a pedometer too to keep track of all these steps. The total yesterday had to have been in the 5 mile range. Woohoo.

The reunion was spectacular. Madelyn proudly pulled out her painting. (Wow, paint on the very first day!) She reported it was a portrait of Nana and I have to say it did bear a pretty good resemblance. I can't wait to see what comes next. I did not get a lot of details about the happenings of the day but it seems like all went well. She wants to go back next week and there were no notes from the teacher, so I suppose that is a good sign.

2 comments:

Kara said...

Hooray for walking!

The boys K-6 school is less than a 5 minute walk away from our home so we are super excited for that!

So glad Madelyn did well her first day I hope it continues to go for her and you.

Cooper had a rough week that first week w/o W but he quickly learned that he got mama alone for 4 hours that helped a lot.

This Is Me, Doing What I Do said...

Yeah about walking. That is awesome that you live in such a tight nit community!

I shed a tear knowing Madelyn went to school. Guess it's these pregnancy hormones...
But sounded like a great time!