I am scared of snakes. Petrified. I have trouble seeing a snake on the television or at the zoo, both of which would be behind glass. Right now I am getting goosebumps just thinking about the slithery suckers. For years I have clapped my hands like a goofball in dark or grassy areas in order to scare any snakes off, even in places where clearly there are no snakes. It just freaks me out that they move without arms and legs. That hiss and the little flickering tongue, it all freaks me out. Shutter!
This afternoon we went over to check out our neighbors' new swing set. We are also in the market for a new set for our backyard so we went give theirs a spin. On the way down the steps to the new set, my eagle eye noticed, curled up in the ivy along the railing, a little snake. I literally leaped off the step, Abigail in my arms. Madelyn was luckily down below or I seriously might have knocked her over. I try to stay calm, for the children, but I am embarrassed to say I was all jittery. I could not enjoy the playtime and kept thinking something was crawling over my feet.
At one point my neighbor was about to point out that Abby spit up a little bit and I jumped and probably shook Abby up even more.
I really don't want to pass this fear on to my kids. I have already been looking over my shoulder in our own yard so this is not good. There are only two kinds of poisonous snakes in Maryland, I am sure none live in Dunmore. I know they don't want to be near me either but this is one creature I sure could do without.
In better news, we had a delightful dinner guest tonight. Dave Shepard was in town from Seattle for a speaking engagement. Now if we can just see those adorable Shepard children again maybe we will not miss them as much.
The best part about today: Our morning playdate that featured fun on a snake-free, super fun play set with my college friend Erin and her children. (Madelyn was all about the tire swing!)
Thursday, May 3, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment